[bksvol-discuss] Re: bksvol-discuss Digest V11 #116

  • From: Jack Teeter <jteeter45@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 07:04:13 -0700 (PDT)

How about some concrete examples?

Seems there are changes to:
1. elipses

2. quotes
3. em dashes
4. footnotes

Please provide a sample page that presents a clear example of each. In the case
where more than one solution is acceptable give only the preferred solution --
I can adapt if I can see exactly what I need to do to comply.

Regards,

Jack Teeter
Brighton, IL
618-978-1847

On Friday, May 23, 2014 12:08 AM, FreeLists Mailing List Manager
<ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
>Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sensationexperiencepage
>Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/sensationexperi
>

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 04:13:29 -0700
>From: Sensation Experience Official <sensationexperience.official@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: New proofreading requirements: quotes, ellipses,
>
>Hi there,
>Could you provide us with some examples, especially for the ellipses
>situation? That could be helpful.
>Warmly,
>-Ulysses
>On 24/04/2014 09:41, Madeleine Linages wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As I've mentioned before we're doing some in-house testing about what
>> the Bookshare converter can and cannot handle. It's been through many
>> iterations and no one really knows exactly what it can or can't do
>> (engineers included!). We want to make sure that volunteers and staff
>> are all on the same page and aware of all changes as we learn about
>> them. We're finally getting some answers and I wanted to share some
>> things I learned below. Please feel free to contact me with questions.
>>
>> Ellipses: do NOT put a space before the ellipsis (no space between the
>> word and the dots). Do NOT put a period after, and therefore do not
>> put a space before the period. If there's a word after the ellipsis,
>> please put a space between the last dot and the word.
>>
>> Quotes: all quotes, smart or otherwise, are converted to simple
>> quotes. No need to change them.
>>
>> Em-dashes are always converted to double dashes when going to Daisy.
>> Double dashes are preserved as double dashes. Single dashes are
>> preserved as single dashes.
>>
>> This is all new information to me too, so I'm very glad I was able to
>> ask about this stuff. Going forward, please use the above info when
>> proofreading.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Madeleine Linares
>>
>> Volunteer Coordinator
>>
>> Bookshare, a Benetech Initiative
>>
>> 650-644-3459
>>
>> volunteer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:volunteer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>--
>Learn more about spreading the Sensation Experience attitude
>Visit our web site at: http://www.sensationexperience.com/
>Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sensationexperiencepage
>Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/sensationexperi
>

>------------------------------
>
>From: "Martha Rafter" <mlhr@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: New proofreading requirements: quotes, ellipses,
>Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 09:07:43 -0400
>
>Hi Madeline,
>   I’m probably being very tiresome, but, with the ellipses, are you aware
>that not putting a space between the word before and the ellipses is a
>complete change from what we’ve always done?  I thought not having the space
>messed up Braille copies of the books we do.  I’m sorry but I guess I need

zØ^¯õž­æ¥—&«z­¶)ණ{ö§tÿþg±r+^vÚy¦åzÚrÛš–\®×«²Ö§vØ^­æ¬¢x§·¡Šwp…«p{ÿÿ­æ¬’)à¡ú.®ú%º{^z»ÿYçhŸÿÿ·§µ©ò¢w­¡Ú.žwœz˯,(®OÛºÜj[(Á©í¶‰š‘ë.­àh¢K!j·ÿÿû¢Y^rبž+-…æ޲حq©Û{ð^²ßÌi×¥z)Þº&ý¹,¾‰ÿv+ºËÿn‹§qï߭祊ËlþŠàþf¢–ÚÿnK/¢_ÝŠÇ.²ÏÛ¢éÜ{÷ëyéb²Ûÿ¢¸ÿ:p^…©_9ð¢Ü‘¢Ç§¶¥Iéíý8n®ÇZËóËmÿÛMxßýõ<Äèý¹,¾‰ÿv+ºËÿ~·ž–+-³ú++›ç-ÿöä²ú%ýجrë,ýÿJé¦j¼¨}Ë«­éí­ê®Š·¦z{l¢xZÙbžè¢Ùèµéî™·«³÷è¢Ùèµë-…é¬z[Þ±©Ýzwg¢×¬N§’ÏɹÜÿJ‚jyš‘ëayú(¶z-zË©z»®*mnëaj÷­¢›­jÊZqæÞ~ŠÞŠßÇšoȲêi¢Ç¢žØZµÆ¬x‰¢‚Z³¥–붬¥§jË^®+$žé›z¿ÈþY^Æ—«Šg§µ©Ý±ç°†'!µ©²j+zئy©ÝþŠð†'!ŠÇš²'«¶‡âÜ!zrÿ™È^rH§‚Ú,yèŸ"¯zØ^™©erŠëyËhžg§µ©ZºÚ)ŠZ-ý§íz¹²•«-
–‰ànŠ$ýf¢·òÿšÊ+¯/ç£ÿ™©b¶Ù^r‰ßºÇo*)¶*'ÿe¡‰Èh~Ø^~‰e£§‚+0…«p¢é]mç(®·œ·ýÿ~º&méhÁ¼¢–W

jZ+©âÍ«b¢{0jÇŸ}ç-Š÷¥Ê»¥yÚ.·ýŽ¯oÝ¢)à²ÿ×iÞÆ۞קqê+ÝÊ&¦V¢çm…«^½êò¶§ƒ¬¶Š,™©eÿýuý»­!ƧþØZ½ë.¥êìr¸©¶{¦mêðŠØhºÖ¬¥§þÊ-¶¬Â‹¥u·°®‰àÿÜ¢jej)ÞvØZµëÞ¯+aŠx0jËh¢Éš–_õÔˆ.zË(¦Ø¨Ÿýb³Z´ïy·žÚ"žì¥§jË^®+$žé›z»)iÇ­…éç{lz{^Ǩ¯
>+wÿì¢'Èq©ÿ¶›­¶§ºfÞ®)캗«±Êâ¦Ü"¶.µ©Ú²×«ŠÉ‚笰å•Ê'¶)î{ò,¶­®(!·ð¢Ü²:tá»óËmÿÛMxjÝtÿÀ3ònw+ÿýÈ^®¼£joã¹Ü¬¶‹Ÿ}êÿr‰ÿ™¨¥¶Ü…êëÊ6¦þ;ÊËh¹÷Þ¯÷(›ÿð®‹^üw«{û²é¦j¼Ÿ¢²¢›ö§u©ò¢wž–Ç°†‹Š{^­ë-yßéjË^vÚ

zØ^­úè›Z´ÆzW¢èZ²š,µçhž0¶ˆZÙ^~Š-ž‹^žé›z»0ŠØbžØ^µìmý©Ý¶§†Œ-¢§vW­…çè¢Ùèµë-…é¬z[Þ³ôáz)춻œ¶*'²)í…ç.®·§¶šè¡úÞiا‚f§¹©Z­è§rŠëyËp…éí…ì¬k+h¦ëlªæ«yºÚrG­±ªèºwZ–Wè¢Ùèµéî™·«³­†)í…ë^ÆßÓ…ëè–éíyêæj{š–+z)ທZµçm¡Ê+­ç-¶¢žËk¹Ëb¢{ÿnënžØ¥jw°½ê슉ⱫڊV›•è^­ï소-¢§vWŸ¢‹g¢×¨­éÝž‹^žé›z»0ŠØbžØ^µìmýŠ.q©Ý¢‰Þ¡ûa­ç­†)à³ýÿ¦Vœy¦åjy,¥§mëpyéí…ë^ÆÖ§vØ^~Š-ž‹^žé›z¿ÚÚeiÇš«-z¸¬’w±¶Ú-…éî™·«þGž¦)ක²×«ŠÉÙî™·«Šyè®f¥þȳ{]ÿ~‰íÿú+Ûùz›az{¦mêâžz+™©ÿ²,Þ×oߢ{pŠØg¡«-z¸¬‘©ÝŽë-jÊZqæÞ·žžØ^~Š-ž‹^žé›z¶§vØ^µìmþŠ÷þGž¦Ø^žé›z¸§²ê^®Ç+Š›_¢{ÿj¢ž›­¶)àjÊZqæÞ·žžØ^~Š-ž‹^žé›z¶§vØ^µìmü-¢Ø^~Š-ž‹^²Ø^šÇ
ºV«þȳy×èžØ§¶­{ÿ¶‡%j¸ŸÊØZ¶+b²z-¥ªí¡ûaz×±·ÿÈ~Ø^¦º(~·šuêÚuÛ"©Ú²×«ŠÉ'{m¢Ø^žé›z¿ázŠì…ë!¢é]i×bžØky欵êâ²K~׫¶­{ZÖÞ~ŠÞ¶Ÿ¢‹g¢×¢ú+™«b¢ÈžØb±Æ¬{ûayú(¶z-z)ߢ¹
>š¶*'v‡¬ž‹gyçm¡·¢ÉnuçbºÚrG­³ó뢇ëy§^®ÈZ½æÞzvv)àŠv¬µêâ²K,Šwmçè­âÿ1§^•è§{û-j»^wü!‰Èb³r¶²j·š–Z0yÛhr‰íŠ{žý(§qìj·š–\(®H§‚÷«Ê«vÚ&jG¬º·­…«o¢[§µç«³ú.¶Ê.­Ç«³ö§v)ÿ†‹¬zËZ}ö«y©evˆ§‚Øbž¢{"²×§¶\ÿ#ûÞm秭ç(šg§v)ඦzØhv‡åy«âžaz{¦mêâžØ^µìmýè­…êâž·
>
>ºV«~‰í²,Þ¢».¥êìr¸©µçÿjwm…é镧"žayú(¶z-z)Û­§$zÛÿjËajج­n‹a¢Ø^®)ÿ†‹¬zËZ}ö§v‹­²‹«qêìj·¢žËk¹Ë^vÚ£ñèÁëÞ¯üv‹-ŠYZ–Z0¶š²×«ŠÉ/z»"¢v­¶¬¶)žü

l£øŸj|¨ç(™ërº,±¦è¢KajÚ'—(Z²‰Þ¢»p¡ú(¶z-zƧvØ^jëa¢¸Z²)ìz»^u«-z¸¬’ÏÚÙèžé›z»ÿþ™^jÇ©ºÛayú(¶z-z)ߢ¹š¶*'Š{*¹ªÞn¶œ‘ëlü‰í†+jÇÿŠw%¹×š«-z¸¬‘·Ÿ¢·­…çè¢Ùèµè§~ŠæjبŸöÞq«¬zØ^­è¬ž‰î™·«ÿöî¶z)z¸¨u§íz¸­ÿÿɹܬüZ%–Œ&z‰ÓÂ+mz¶­B朑êì4(^zÇÿ†Ûi³ÿÿ·­µêÿr‰¿B朑êì4(^zÇÿ