[bksvol-discuss] Re: backlog created by validaters

  • From: Tony Baechler <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 00:56:57 -0800

Hi Mike. I can only speak for myself here, but I would be happy to post notices when I get books from step 1 or after I validate them. I do not have any of your books right now, so don't worry about that. I personally like my idea in another message. Validators should post here when the book is done being validated so people know that it is sitting in the admin pool. I think sometimes books get lost in the system somewhere and may take quite awhile to show up again. Also, a good practice for both submitters and validators is to hold on to the files they're working on until the book goes live. That way if it does get lost or there is a problem, it can be re-uploaded.

To Mike and others, if this is a really serious issue to you with books sitting on a step 2 page for too long, why not validate them yourself? You do have that option. If you already know that the copy is near perfect and needs little or nothing done with it, just do your own validation. You get the validation credit that way too I think. Then there is no issue with a step 2 page. Not that this will get the books up any quicker on the admin end, but it might help. Even if every submitter validated their own books, there are still enough on step 1 that have been neglected for others to work on.

At 05:27 PM 1/23/2005 -0500, you wrote:

One of my greatest fears as a submitter of books I believe to be of good
quality is someone grabbing them and then just sitting on them.
It's not an issue of delayed credits; but it is an issue of not getting it
into the hands of users as quickly as possible.
It is bad enough that  sometimes it takes Palo Alto an inordinate amount
of time to process presumably good validations.
It is even worse to grab something and then just sit on it especially if
all that is likely required is a summary review and touch up.
Jake's many Hardy Boys and BoxCar Children books fall into that category
generally requiring minutesof work after a download verifying the major
elements and a run through K1000's ranked spelling checker.

I understand what Elizabeth and Cindy do, and why they do it.  But      I
would urge others to consider if just hanging onto something for its own
sake makes sense.
After all, you can release it; and when you have the time to work on it,
you can always reclaim it if no one else has.
And perhaps  if you are lucky, you no longer have to validate but rather
be able to grab the final copy from the collection itself.

My presumption if someone grabs a book of mine, and doesn't come to me
within a week with any questions or concerns, is that it is validated and
awaiting Palo Alto action.
A hanged on book is worse than a book in the Step 1 pool for with the
latter, if it doesn't get claimed, I can always ask someone if they'd
validate it.
If it is sitting on your hard drive for week after week, and I don't even
know that, I don't know what to think.