[bksvol-discuss] author names

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 15:58:04 -0400

Apparently the data base bookshare is using has trouble with multi part author first and last names. So if you put JR. or Association or maurier or Passos into the search box it comes up as an author. I do remember doing some dbase and rbase programming in the eighties. I wonder what is going on having one input field for an author name instead of say, first name, middle name, last name. Then it would be apparent that Du Maurier or Dos Passos or Du Bois is input as an entire last name. The rumor is that multipart last names are being fixed individually one by one by hand. Surely there are library data bases out there. I find it hard to fathom a library hand fixing each author's name in such cases.

E.