[bksvol-discuss] Re: asterisks and cahpter titles redux

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 15:01:39 -0400

I don't make the rules, but I think I can see pretty clearly what the rules in cases like this are for and that can allow one to figure out what the rule would be. The purpose is clarity. That is also the purpose of blank lines in the middle of text in a print book, to clarify that a scene has changed or a passage of time has taken place. If there were no blank line or other indication of a transition the reader would just blithely keep reading and then become confused. Now, I am not a Braille reader, so I don't know how a blank line would serve as a transition indicator in Braille, but I do know that while using a synthetic voice set on continuous read there is no indication of a blank line. It just keeps reading and so a blank line would not serve as an indicator like it would for a sighted reader. The same confusion would result as it would for a sighted reader with no indicator. The asterisks are alternate indicators that a synthetic voice will pick up. Now, there are cases of blank lines that do nothing for clarity even for sighted readers. Yes, there may be multiple blank lines after a chapter title and I have seen books in which each chapter starts half way down the page and, of course, there is the common practice of starting each chapter on a new page so that the last page of the preceding chapter might have just one or two lines of text on it. None of this is there to provide clarity. It is there for esthetic reasons. That is, it looks better. When a synthetic voice is reading the material the esthetics of multiple blank lines does not carry over. Asterisks that in some cases serve to clarify transitions would, in cases like I have just described, just be a distraction. To be honest, they are a bit of a distraction when they appear as transition indicators, but at least they are serving to clarify in those cases. As for the subject changing with a new chapter, the mere fact that a new chapter has started is plenty of an indicator of a transition itself. In fact, if there was no transition at all with a new chapter then the author did a very poor job of determining where to divide the narrative with a new chapter. So in a case like you describe I would leave the asterisks out. I would use them only when they are needed to clarify. If they do not clarify they only get in the way.
On 10/9/2015 2:03 PM, Cindy Rosenthal wrote:

That is what I saved, but I'm wondering, since in this case there is a 4-line blank space in the vook after the chapter title and the start of the text and the text seems to change subject, if this would be different. I did just put them in but I can easily take them out. I guess I'll ask Madeleine. Thanks, though
Cndy

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Judy s. <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hi Cindy,

Here's what Madeleine posted on it a little while ago:

"We also no longer need to “preserve” page breaks with asterisks
on either side of page breaks. We don’t need to add them to show
new chapters (on either side of chapters) either, as the word
“chapter” followed by a number is usually enough of a clue for
anyone to figure out that there’s a new chapter."

Hope that helps! smile.

Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at QuackersNCheese
<https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese>
On 10/9/2015 4:11 AM, Cindy Rosenthal wrote:
I'vejust reviewed the notes I saved abut not needing to put
asterisks on-either side of chapter titles, but what if the book
has many blank lines (I think it looks like about 4 after the
chapter title before the text? It seems to me like a change of
topic, so I'm assuming asterisks would be appropriate here. Am I
right?