[bksvol-discuss] Re: anyone have a really really really good suggestions on a fantasy series?

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 01:19:51 -0500

Hi Ann,

I don't see Stephen R. Donaldson on this list. So you might try The Chronicles
of Thomas Covenant, beginning with Lord Fowl's Bane

http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/34696

That might be dark enough for you. I should warn you though that the
protagonist is not very likable, at least not for a long while, and gives new
meaning to the term "reluctant hero." I won't spoil anything, so I will only
say that you should be patient with him. If you are, I think you'll find that
it was worth it. The writing is among the most evocative I have ever read, and
it is quite dark and gets darker as it goes along, although his world contains
places and beings of great beauty as well. If you make it to the Second
Chronicles, the level of darkness takes a quantum leap. Nevertheless, the world
he creates is extremely well imagined and his characters are real, both brought
to vivid life by his extraordinary writing.

It's not for everyone, though. I've known quite a few Fantasy lovers who just
dislike this series, often because of the protagonist. But if you're willing to
stick with it, I think you'll find that your desire for darkness will be
satisfied. Not darkness without hope, however. It is always important to keep
that in mind.

Evan