[bksvol-discuss] Re: another question for The Last Days of the Incas

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 21:55:24 -0700 (PDT)

My guess would be that "A few dictated letters to
home," or "to loved ones."

What comes after that sounds like an explanatory
footnote explaining the novel. There's probably either
an asterisk or a footnote number after the period that
follows Amadis of Gaul, and several line spaces and
then the explanatory footnote preceded by an asterisk
or footnote number.

Scott, I suggest bookmark pages you have questions on
and wait for me to get the book, which will,
hopefully, be by next Wed. Then we can work on it
offlist.

Cindy

--- Scott Berry <sberry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> This page looks like there is some text missing. I
> went to the next page
> and it does not correspond with this page at all.
>
> Here is the page:
>
> Atahualpa's arguments did him little good, however,
> for Pizarro, not
> wanting to take any chances, now ordered that a
> chain be fastened around
> Atahualpa's neck to prevent the emperor from
> escaping. Pizarro next
> called for a meeting of his top commanders to
> discuss Atahualpa's fate.
> While the rank-and-file Spaniards waited nervously
> in the city, scanning
> the hills for signs of an approaching army, a
> handful of their leaders
> now debated what to do with the captive Inca king.
> The makeshift jury
> included the corpulent royal treasurer, Alonso
> Riquelme; the Dominican
> friar, Vincente de Valverde�whose mistreated
> breviary had set off the
> massacre eight months before; Almagro; Francisco
> Pizarro; and a few
> others. Almagro, Riquelme, and several other
> captains wanted to execute
> the Inca emperor immediately, believing that once
> Atahualpa was dead, it
> would be easier to pacify the country. Pizarro and
> another group of
> captains, on the other hand, were in favor of
> keeping Atahualpa alive.
> They had been able to rule the country through
> Atahualpa for eight
> months, after all�so why couldn't they continue?
And