[bksvol-discuss] Re: another process observation

  • From: "Scott Blanks" <scottsjb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 21:15:19 -0800

A quick perusal of the books in processing page reveals the following:
360 some odd books on step one. A couple months back, there were upwards of 430-450 books on step one regularly.

There are about 150 books being validated. This number isn't so high. Now, there may be some instances where validators hold onto books for far too long. This is indeed anti-productive.

When you put the two numbers, approx 360+150, you get slightly over 500 books. This isn't a staggering number by any means.

I'd say one way to facilitate the efficient validation of a book, if you're not finding that a submission is getting into the collection in a timely manner, would be to get involved closely with a validator or two. I've found this works very well for me, an exclusive scanner. I am in regular email communication with two validators who work consistently with my books, and those books are never under the validation microscope for more than a couple weeks, and that's an overestimate.

If you are already exercising this methodology, then possibly you should seek a different validator, or inquire with the current one as to why they are taking so long. There can often be circumstances which require a slow and tedious effort with a scan.

Communication is key, and when scanners and validators work together, everything improves.

Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "liz halperin" <lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx>