[bksvol-discuss] Re: another PQ question

  • From: "Charlene Ota" <caota@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 15:54:42 -1000

I'm really curious about this issue, too. Why would bookshare throw out the
volunteer copy if it is better than the PQ copy. There's a cookbook in the
collection that is a PQ book that I have already pointed out errors in. A
staff member fixed the errors on the pages I listed but left the rest of
them. There are lots of junk characters like tildes between words instead of
spaces. Fractions are missing from the ingredient lists.

I wrote to the staff member that I was dealing with about this book and
expressed my frustration with the fact that bookshare will put a book like
this in the collection, erros and all, but asks us as volunteers to fix all
of our books. Now, don't get me wrong, I think we as volunteers have a lot
to be proud of in the quality of the books that we put in the collection and
I wouldn't have it any other way than to fix everything that I can to make
the book as useful as I can. However, to me using the PQ books that are less
than the quality of the books produced by volunteers is crazy! Also, why is
the standard for PQ books less than the standard for volunteer produced
books? That particular cookbook isn't useful as it is with the erros in the
fractions for the ingredients. It wouldn't be acceptable if I as a volunteer
and a proofreader left that book like that. It seems like kind of a slap in
the face to the volunteers to settle for poor quality for the PQ books.

Well, my appologies. I kept trying to hold back on my rant, but the subject
kept coming up and I finally had to throw in my half a cent! (smile!)

Charlene