[bksvol-discuss] Re: another PQ question

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 16:54:38 -0500

It's my understanding that copyright law forbids this kind of sharing, unless you are an entity like bookshare who is a recognized organization producing accessible copies for the blind and physically disabled and only making the copies available to those individuals. You can't share your book that you've scanned with someone else, whether or not it has been added to the collection.

Otherwise, you're doing the same thing that music companies are going after people for doing when it comes to sharing copies of songs. If I buy a CD, and rip the songs so I can listen to them on an iPod, it's illegal for me to give copies of those songs to my friends, and I can't keep my electronic MP3s I've made and at the same time turn around and sell or give away the original CD, either.

At least that's my current understanding of how it works. smile.

Judy s.

Quoting Ali Al-Hajamy <aalhajamy@xxxxxxxxx>:

That's a very interesting question, and I think I want the answer to
it as well. Two reasons I prefer volunteer produced copies of books
are the page numbers and image descriptions, when they are in the
book. I'm not sure if you can share your volunteer copy with another
member. I'm thinking you can, because at the time it was produced, it
had not been aproved to go into the collection, and thus the file had
no watermarks identifying it as yours. Yet sharing of books is against
the terms of service. But does that apply to books that have been
scanned by someone else and have not yet gone into the collection, or
only to books already in the collection?

On 7/6/11, Charisma <wishfulfish@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
OK, so a new question, and this may be covered in the rules, actually.

Say I have a book and it is volunteer, then a PQ replaces it.
But say the PQ is awful or something. I still have the download of the
volunteer copy on my computer. Someone else is looking for the old
volunteer copy. Do the rules of Bookshare let me share the old
volunteer copy with a fellow member?

Like email the download of it?

Charisma