[bksvol-discuss] Re: another PQ question

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 19:30:12 -0700

Hi Charlene,

It's great that you are pointing out errors that you find in PQ books.  It
is much appreciated.  Let me try to address the issues that you bring up,
and maybe put to rest some of your worries, at least a little.

First, the agreement with publishers states that in order for them to agree
to give us their books, they want only their copies in the collection.  So,
unless Bookshare wants to be ungrateful to the gift of the publishers, the
copies they give us must be the only copies in the collection.  That's how
it stands right now.  It seems a shame to look a gift horse in the mouth
when the majority of publisher quality books really are of excellent
quality.

The PQ books go through a conversion process in order to have daisy and brf
formats available to Bookshare members.  Obviously, that conversion process
isn't always perfect.  Your telling staff when there are errors and the
nature of the errors is helpful so that the tools that do conversion from
the publisher's format to Bookshare's formats  can be tweeked to do a better
job.  Thank you for letting staff know when and what kinds of problems you
find.  It is important to staff to have truly excellent copies of books.

It isn't a perfect situation, we all know.  But efforts are being made to
improve all the time.

Please keep telling us what you uncover when reading Bookshare's books.  It
does matter, and we do care, and we do listen!

Mayrie