[bksvol-discuss] Re: another PQ question

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 20:50:57 -0500

Personally, I haven't found the PQ books that are coming through now to be worse than volunteer copies, but that's going to be a matter of opinion. Many PQ books are missing things I like, though, like page numbering which isn't part of an ebook which has been produced for, say, a Kindle, so it isn't in the PQ version either. However, let me qualify what I've said by adding that from what I've seen the PQ books have improved greatly over what they were at first. Everyone involved has probably figured out how to fix lots of different kinds of glitches that were in the initial conversions, and therefore the PQ books are are getting better and better. It's the same way scanned books by volunteers are in general much higher quality than, say, many of the ascii scans done back in 2002 when Bookshare started.

I personally prefer a high quality volunteer scan because I like having all the page numbers and the like, as well as the descriptions of images and image captions. But I'm absolutely thrilled at the huge influx of PQ books, even though I've had several books I worked on replaced in the collection, including books I purchased myself for the collection. I feel that it's a small price to pay compared to having a library I can access with over 110,000 books now! smile.

Judy s.

Quoting Charisma <wishfulfish@xxxxxxxxx>:

That was what I was figuring. But I guess I am worried since I read on
here that PQs are sometimes worse than volunteer copies. Just
panicking about tomorrow's possibilities to avoid panicking about
today's realities! lol

Charisma