[bksvol-discuss] an adult book but not for adults?

  • From: "Amber Wallenstein" <amber.wallens@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 10:39:36 -0500

I'm scanning a book called "The Bitch Posse".  It's for young adults, I swear
it! It was categorized under the YA section and everything, but it's got an
astonishing amount of swearing, sexual references, etc.  What do we do in cases
like these, they are meant for Young adults, but they have a lot of swearing?
If I mark it adult when I'm done editing it, nobody under eighteen can see it,
is that correct? And Im worried about restricting the audience because it's
really a YA book, just a very real and true one. Yes there's a lot of swearing,
but that's life for some teens.     But if I don't mark it, some
seven-teen-year-old is going to get a shock.  Thoughts?
Amber