[bksvol-discuss] Re: altering file names

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:25:45 -0600

John,

No, it doesn't matter if you change the filename during validation.  I think
they'll end up renaming it anyway based on the title because that's what
they do to submissions.  I usually drop the f1 myself in order to know which
one is the original and which one is the one I'm working on.

FYI, I've never seen one, but I'm guessing that it's theoretically possible
to see an _f2 on the end of a file from Bookshare because I have seen a _d2
on DAISY files.  We haven't verified our theory with Engineering, but Jake
and I are guessing that the pseudo file extensions are being used to
maintain unique filenames for Bookshare's archives.  If that's the case, and
it is possible to get a _f2 on a file at Bookshare, then you may want to
play it safe and use another procedure for renaming your books, but I doubt
it matters.

HTH

Gerald