[bksvol-discuss] Re: all those darn dashes re revisited

  • From: Bud Schwab <budschwab@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 18:36:28 -0800

Hi Cindy and all,

No the author seems to be a Southern LCalifornia resident. I find that it seems to read ok in rtf format now. It leaves the dashes there but pronounces the words ok. Now my next problem is that it keeps kicking back when I try to upload it. Everything seems to be ok except there was no icbm number or whatever it is. I thought that wasn't necessary if not available. Anyway I'll keep trying.
BudAt 03:26 PM 2/23/2008, you wrote:
Yep--the em dashes belong there--and at the end of the
the sentence that ends with "...on the other hand"
between the word "hand" and the quotation mark.

Is this book by an English (as in England) author?

G.Cindy

--- Bud Schwab <budschwab@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi gang again.
> Here is a page of the bookwith a couple of those
> dashes for an
> example.  Strangely enough after I converted it from
> .kes to .rtf it
> seems to read better and pronounce them as two
> words. Wonder why that
> would be.  Maybe they'll read ok since it will all
> be in .rtf.
> Oh well!
> Bud
>
> P. S.  I just looked at this page that I changed
> from .kes to .rtf
> and now the dashes are gone and the two words are
> run together  One
> instance is near the bottom where it says violence
> and only run
> together as one word. Therer's another one about in
> the middle of the
> page also. .  The mystery deepens.
>

> 117
> of black oxfords, another pair of moccasinsblackand
> some sneakers.
> Palliser had a look at them but couldn't see
> anything suggestive. He
> stashed them all in a plastic evidence bag and they
> drove back
> downtown to drop them off at the lab. Then they went
> up to that
> Thrifty in Hollywood to talk to Wells. He wasn't as
> amiable as
> before, when Palliser asked questions over again.
> "What the hell you
> want with my shoes, anyway? I didn't know cops could
> go right in a
> person's pad and just steal stuff."
> "You'll get them back," said Galeano easily. `We may
> want to  borrow
> the ones you're wearing too. Are all those the only
> shoes you've got?"
> "For Gossakes, what am I supposed to do till then? I
> don't know why
> you guys are bothering me, I never had anything to
> do with thatyou
> know what I mean. I haven't done anything at all."
> "So you've got nothing to worry about," said Galeano
> in a friendly
> tone. "We can't prove you did anything. We're just
> looking around, Wells."
> "So you can go and look around somewhere else."
> "You'd like us to find out who killed your
> grandmother,
> wouldn't  you?" asked Palliser.
> "Oh, sure, sure, I sure hope you do. But I told you
> where I was that
> night, you asked Mae and she told you, we were out
> at that disco all the time."
> "Yes, we know you were."
> "Then why are you bothering me? Go stealing my
> shoes! Cops!  When do
> I get them back?"
> "When we're finished with them," said Galeano. They
> went back to the
> parking lot and sat in the car and Palliser switched
> on the engine
> for the air conditioning. "In a sort of way," said
> Galeano, "I see
> what you mean, John. Another Baby Face. A little too
> [...]

***WISH LIST (CALLED REQUESTED ADDITIONS TO THE BOOKSHARE COLLECTION)IS AVAILABLE AT
http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/

A LIST OF BOOKS CURRENTLY BEING SCANNED IS AVAILABLE AT http://people.delphiforums.com/jamiecalton/scanning.html

Bud Schwab
W 6 Z Y P