[bksvol-discuss] Re: admin queue redux

  • From: "Jake Brownell" <jabrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 10:56:08 -0500

Hi Elizabeth,

All right, here's some ideas from a more technical standpoint, but one that I hope is followable if you don't have a background in programming.

Websites like BookShare, are generally run with a back end database. Data from that database is incorperated into web pages for presentation to web users. To do this, the pages as stored on the BookShare server contain code directives that the webserver processes before it sends you the page. When you get the page all the server commands have been processed and all you get is just a straight web page.

There are generally two technologies used during the pages transformation from server to user.

The first is a database query, generally handled by SQL, pronounced sequel. This query looks up information in the database and returns data sets to the page that asked for the information.

Second is the code inside the page that the server is responsible for processing. It requests data from the database using SQL and then takes the dataset and determines how, when, and where to display it.

With pages like the administrative pools and the Step 1 page, there is an SQL command that says, give me all the books that meet this criteria. And then the page code generates output, like the table on Step 1.

To change the order of display should not require a code change, instead adjusting the SQL statement to return a better dataset should be all that is needed.

For instance, say that all the books are stored in one table. You will have things like status, id number, title, author, etc. Then say there is a table that contains the comment history, which holds stuff like status/date/user. From what little I know about relational databases, this is probably a good guess as to how it is set up.

The existing SQL statement could be modified to use what's called a JOIN command which basically allows you to analyze data from both tables as if they were one.

Then, adding an ORDER BY statement to the SQL command to reflect the appropriate field to sort on should resort the data before the page code even sees it. (the appropriate data field would probably be the last date in the comment history).

So, what exactly are we talking about when we change the order of books displaying on these pages?

We're talking about someone who has a decent/modest background in using SQL. And, we're probably, I do want to emphasis probably/most likely, talking about changing just one line in the page, the SQL statement.

Keep in mind that this does rely on the fact that the database is setup in a standard way. From what I've seen the site capable of doing, it should be setup just fine for our purposes.

Also, if the database is setup in a nonstandard way, there are other easy ways of reordering the data such that better results will be given, just not perfect first in first out. For instance, I know that the list could be ordered based on submission dates rather than whatever convoluted way it's setup now.

Good job if you made it this far in the message, grin. I hope it's been informative and not overly technical.

Jake