[bksvol-discuss] Re: admin queue idea

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 14:14:59 -0400

I'm curious about some things. Mike, Jake, and others have said that automation is a low priority for Bookshare staff. Does anyone here know what their high priority is? I'm not clear on what their primary focus is right now. Maybe if we understood that, some of their decisions would make more sense. If we're striving for very different things, maybe knowing what they're striving for would help.

Does anyone know how old Gustavo is? I'm asking for a reason. I believe he uses an autocratic or centralized management style that was quite common for managers to use if they were trained in the seventies. From my point of view, the lion's share of problems regarding Bookshare processes stem from Gustavo's inability to delegate tasks appropriately to his paid staff and to set measurable performance evaluations to make sure goals are met on time and on target. What I don't know is if this inability is by his working style or if it is dictated by the board at Benetech. Knowing the answers to these questions may help us find a way to break the continual stalemate we find ourselves in. This is evidenced by two situations I had run into recently.

The first is that I asked John if it was ok to post a message on the Bookshare Discuss list explaining what a volunteer does and how to sign up to become one. I asked him as a courtesy since he would be doing the processing of volunteer applications. He was not able to approve of my post after reading it because he had to get approval from his superiors. After 30 days, he still didn't have an answer from them to what should have been a trivial issue.

The other piece of evidence I have for my position is that there doesn't appear to be any redundancy of tasks so that if Gustavo is gone, most decision-making processes like approving books shuts down completely. In most companies, the manager or CEO delegates some acting authority to subordinates so that daily activities can be carried out if he is unavailable. I would think that Jennifer, John, Carrie, or Janice would be able to be entrusted with the ability to approve books in the queue since that is a primary and basic function at Bookshare. I'm not suggesting that they should do this instead of Gustavo. I'm saying that there should be a person who is able to pinch hit when he is unable to do it whether because of illness, traveling, or heavy work load.

I keep on trying to find a way to break through the gap between Bookshare and volunteers because I think this project is worthwhile and that it has so much untapped power and potential. By asking different kinds of questions, I hope I will stumble across a key that will unlock the gate in the wall between us. The key does exist if we can just find it.

Monica Willyard