[bksvol-discuss] Re: admin queue

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 05:45:32 -0600

Jennifer's title is not Manager of Collections as originally published, but
Manager of Alternative Media and, according to the job description, has been
hired to coordinate the improvement of the collection, not the day to day
addition to the collection.  It's my understanding, and this agrees with
what Jake said, her job is more of a technical position than a
member/volunteer relations position.  From what I remember from the job
description, though, volunteers are definitely not being short-changed by
her hiring.  Jennifer will be the one who works with Engineering and the
volunteering community to improve the Bookshare system.  It's my
understanding, though, that the volunteering community won't communicate
directly with her, but through the advisory group that Janice mentioned,
with the exception of the in-house volunteers which she will manage.  It's
also my understanding that Jennifer will be the one to notify the
volunteering community of technical upgrades and explain how they will
affect members and volunteers.  It's still a bit early to tell, but I
suspect Jennifer will be the one in the future that we will go to for
answers to technical questions related to volunteering.

While I would expect Jennifer to have the capability to approve books
because she should have access to the collection in order to supervise
upgrades related to approvals, I wouldn't expect her to participate in that
task.

Bookshare is in the process, however, of hiring a Customer Support Manager
which will work more directly with volunteers.   According to the job
description, that person will "also serve as the voice and champion/advocate
of the Bookshare.org remote volunteers within the Bookshare.org
organization."  I would expect that this person will participate in book
approvals since Marissa did, but that is only a guess, and, if you recall,
approving books was only a minor part of Marissa's job.  She didn't do it on
a day-to-day basis, and it was my impression that she mainly made
corrections to the database  when members/volunteers notified her of an
error related to a book's title or author or to its quality classification.

Considering that we are getting two staff members to replace Marissa, one to
work with volunteers on a day-to-day basis and one to work with Engineering
to convey members'/volunteers' needs and wishes, we are definitely not
getting short-changed.

Also, the hiring of Jennifer and the Customer Support Manager will free up
Gustavo and Janice so they can focus entirely on the jobs they were doing
before Marissa left.  In theory, this will give Gustavo more time to do
approvals.

HTH

Gerald