[bksvol-discuss] Re: a really tough decision to make...

  • From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 21:04:36 -0600

I am guessing I would need to rescan this book, then, since it came to me with spaces and tabs, not the real tables. I got it early in my proofing, before I was scanning. The original submitter bought and sent me a copy of the book, so I guess I could do it over as a BSO and have someone else proofread it. Are there special techniques for preserving the tables in Word? I seem to remember that posted way back, before it affected me...

Valerie

On 11 01, 2009, at 8:54 PM, Monica Willyard wrote:

Hi Valerie. Bookshare tools do retain text-based tables nicely. I have
verified this in several books I have submitted by looking at the end result in the daisy file. Bookshare files don't present tables exactly the way they look to you visually in Word. What they don't do is display images, borders, or shading as you see in Word. Daisy does support tables, and the Bookshare tools do recognize them during processing. They look more like HTML tables though. In your book, the checklists and tables will be retained. The tabs and borders won't show up, and that is because daisy books don't use tabs. They are based on a language called XML which is somewhat like what you see
in pages on the web.

The Braille version of your book will show items on a single line if a
person is using a Braille display. This is because of the limitations of the Braille display, not in tables themselves. Most Braille displays can only
show one line of text at a time.

I hope this helps.

Monica Willyard