[bksvol-discuss] Re: a quick chapters question

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 10:05:22 -0600

Lissi,

I don't recommend putting the page numbers at both the top and bottom of the
page.  It isn't something that I would expect publishers to do, so I
wouldn't expect Engineering to have considered the possibility when creating
the Stripper .  You can try it, but be willing to live with the results if
it fails, and download the book once it makes it into the collection to see
whether or not it worked  so you don't continue to use the method, or
recommend it, if it didn't work.

The method which has been found to work when the page numbers are always at
the bottom of the page is to put a false header at the top of a page with a
chapter heading.  Many people use the word chapter, but I like to use the
book's title, since that is something the Stripper is used to finding in a
header, and it's also something that wouldn't confuse a member if it somehow
gets overlooked by the Stripper.  I have seen an example where someone
pasted the word Header at the top of every page for the Stripper to remove,
and it was left in, which will probably drive members crazy if they download
the book and cause someone to rescan it later.  You should be safe using the
word Chapter though, as long as you strip the other headers and only put it
on the page with the chapter heading since  several volunteers  are using
that method , and I haven't seen an example where it failed.

HTH

Gerald

Gerald