[bksvol-discuss] Re: a question about formatting footnote references

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 22:59:01 -0700

Hi, Jill, I've seen footnotes in Braille books. Generally, what you'd see is
an asterisk followed by a number following a sentence in the text where the
footnote is mentioned. Sometimes, one would see just an asterisk. In that
instance, a note would appear at the bottom of the page separated from the
text by a line of dashes going across the page. The asterisk plus number
type of footnote is used in literature texts where one would see words like
"ibid." or "op. cit." If you are reading a science or anthropology book, the
footnotes would be quite different in character. When you read a sentence
where the footnote is supposed to occur, you'd see an open parenthesis, the
author's name, the year of publication, then the page number  followed by
the closed parenthesis. Hope this helps. Regards, Kim.

  _____

From: Doug Maples <wdmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] a question about formatting footnote references
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, August 22, 2009, 3:19 PM

I am proofing a book called Financial Peace Revisited by Dave Ramsey. It is
a nonfiction book about personal finances. I have run into a place where he
quotes a number of sources and denotes them with a # followed by a number.
This refers to the footnotes at the end of the book.

I need some help to know how to format this. Here is an example from the
book.

short years.#2 A recent survey conducted by Consolidated Credit Counseling
Services found that 71 percent of Americans say debts are making their home
lives unhappy.#3 A recent study in The Wall Street Journal states that 70
percent of the American public lives from paycheck to paycheck.#4
Interestingly, a Marist Institute poll published right after that Wall
Street Journal article stated that 55 percent of Americans "always" or
"sometimes" worry about their money.#5 If 70 percent are broke and only 55
percent are worried, I guess the other 15 percent are asleep..

Thanks for any help!

-- Doug

  _____

06:06:00