[bksvol-discuss] Re: a listing of format characters

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 12:10:33 -0700 (PDT)

To add to your memory--from the Special section in the
Word repplace, ^t replaces tabs, ^+ replaces em
dashes,  ^w replaces "white space--I don't know what
that is--is it spaces in a line that don't belong? If
so, I can use it, and I never noticed that. Thanks for
this, Cheryl.
Also, what is a nonbreaking hyphen? I figured out that
an optional hyphen is what I needed, so I use ^- to
replace optional hyphens with em dashes. It means I
sometimes have to replace the em dash with a regular
hyphen, as in numbers like twenty-five and some
compound words, but that's easier than replacing the
hyphens with em dashes. ^~ replaces a nonbreaking
hyphen.

Stupid me-- I just realized that I don't have to go to
the Special to insert in the replace space the
character if I learn them; I can use the keyboard.
Duh-- Too soon old too late smart. Gerald, I'll give
up all chocolate for a week.

Cindy