[bksvol-discuss] Re: a frequent appearing word

  • From: Noel Romey <ner@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:44:21 -0500

There's an odd thing that happens with braille.  All punctuation or junk characters are spelled out so ^ becomes caret and \ becomes backslash.  SO \ becomes bar in braille, that's what's happening.

Ner
At 05:02 PM 6/16/2004, you wrote:

Is the word spelled 'bar' or you just hear bar?  You may be encountering the vertical bar character,  which is a junk char,  which may be announced as 'bar'.

Guido

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

"Jill O'Connell" <jillocon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

06/16/2004 04:11 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[bksvol-discuss] a frequent appearing word

I am reading a Bookshare book at the present time (not validating) and I frequently encounter the word "bar." This never fits into the context so I assume it is probably a word resulting from the scan. Has anyone else seen this and do you have any idea what causes it? Jill

Noel Romey
Arkansas, USA
View my insights at my
live journal: http://djner.livejournal.com