[bksvol-discuss] Re: a discovery

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 10:40:09 -0500

Ann,
While I agree that there should be page breaks in PQ books, I understand why there are not. The reason is that we are getting the files that the publishers are using for all of their digital books such as Kindle books. These books have no page breaks for the sighted reader, so wee are getting the same thing that a sighted person would get if they bought a digital version of the same book.

Melissa Smith

On 9/8/2011 9:38 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:
Morning all,

I made an interesting discovery last night. I downloaded a book from Bookshare, Down By The River by Robyn Carr. No, don't laugh, I do read romances when the fit takes me. OK, so because I'm thoroughly disgusted with the Samantha and Tom voices on the Stream, I proceeded to put the book through Kurzie, so I could at least have a synthetic voice that was listenable. So, I plunked this book into Kurzie, and I told it to make mp3 files of every fifty pages. Well, I got a six hour mp3 file. Apparently this book has no page breaks in it. I was expecting at least five mp3 files, nice, manageable chunks that would contain about an hour of playing time, give or take. Folks, if you're going to make volunteers be conscious of page breaks and make sure that a book has them before it is submitted to the collection, it is my opinion that any PQ books should have the same standards to follow. Now, I don't mind a six-and-a-half hour mp3 file, but if I wanted to find any pages in this book, I couldn't because there are apparently no page breaks. What is Bookshare staff doing about this?

Ann P.