[bksvol-discuss] Re: a breath of snow and ashes

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 03:17:44 -0800

Turning column detection off in OpenBook will do it. I once did that to decolumnize a table at the beginning of a book and left it off thinking that it wouldn't make any difference, since there were no columns in the rest of the book. I found that every line had a hard return, and hyphenated words at the end of the line had their hyphens removed, but they had a hard return after the word and a space in front of the next word. Searching for a hard return and a space and replacing that with just a space will get rid of these, but I don't know of any clever way of removing the other extraneous hard returns without also removing those necessary for paragraphs and such. If the book had tabs, you could search and replace hard return tab with some nonsense characters, then remove all the hard returns, then replace the nonsense characters with hard return tab. Then you would have to go through manually and fix up any that were needed that didn't have tabs, such as those around page numbers. Still a big job.