[bksvol-discuss] Re: a book with multiple column pages

  • From: Stephen Baum <steve@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:43:02 -0400

Hi Kellie.

If you are scanning a book, page breaks are observed accurately by Kurzweil 1000, as long as you keep the file in KES format. If you save it as RTF or text, page breaks are still fine. If you load an RTFor text file and then save it again, there is at least a chance that you'll end up with some extra page breaks - K1000 will add page breaks if the text for a given page just won't fit, (given a 14 inch page, and whatever your margins and font settings are.) You can minimize this problem by keeping the file in KES format for as long as possible through the editing process. You can also minimize it somewhat by reducing the font size (you can select all of the text on a document with Control+A, and then use the Edit->Format->Font menu item to modify the font size for the entire document). You might, of course, not want to do that if you are trying to maintain the font size as specified by the OCR.

Stephen

At 10:49 PM 6/11/2006, you wrote:
Hi Kaitlyn,
Usually in Kurzweil this wouldn't be necessary because it is much less
gung-ho about throwing in arbitrary page breaks. I think though that it does
have a page-size limit, though it's quite long, and as far as I know there's
nothing you can do to alter that limit.
Stephen Baum from k1k monitors this list, and he'll correct me if I'm wrong.
<grin>
Kellie