[bksvol-discuss] Re: a book submission rejected, poor me

  • From: Ali <aalhajamy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 21:23:21 -0400

I've found that a good way of checking if a book you submit could be potentially replaced by a PQ copy is to search for it on the Amazon Kindle Store. As Judy S. mentions, publishers are only able to provide us with their ebook files, so if something you're scanning isn't available there, they've probably not digitised it and it won't be replaced. For instance, about three months before the Penguin partnership was announced on this list, I bought a Kindle copy of Albert Vigoleis Thelen's Island of Second Sight, which was added to the collection yesterday because it is published by Overlook Press, a Penguin imprint, but one of my translations of Gargantua and pantagruel, an old penguin Classic by J.M. Cohen, is unlikely to ever be added in PQ because it was never digitised, thus there is no ebook file of that book to submit, and the Cohen was supplanted by a newer translation from M.A. Screech in 2006. I see that Amazon gives me no results when I search the Kindle Store for "Richard Martins Sinch", so I'm guessing you'll be fine.

On 30-Apr-14 20:38, Roger Loran Bailey (Redacted sender rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx for DMARC) wrote:
Actually, I do think that it is one of the less likely Penguin books to be replaced. It was published in 1987 and it is very obscure. When I added it to my currently reading list at Good Reads I noticed that only one Good Reads user had ever read it. Still, though, at a rate of over a thousand books a day it would not surprise me if it entered the collection at any time. Until it does, though, I suppose I will keep right on working on it.
On 4/30/2014 8:30 PM, Sandra Ryan wrote:
How old is the book, Roger?  I think that with Penguin, as with the many
other publishers, we're probably safest going with books that are older.
The books Judy and I were doing were from about 2005 to the present.

Sandi