[bksvol-discuss] Re: YAHOO ANNOUNCES BOOK-SCANNING PROJECT

  • From: "Cheryl Fogle" <cfogle@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 06:58:24 -0600

Some of the commercial scanning projects just show photographs of each book page and not text. Some sites like Jstor (academic journals) let me download the images in a .pdf file which can be opened in Kurzweil and read after using the program to recognize the images just as the ocr would work if I scanned a printed page directly into Kurzweil. Other scanned book projects use different photographic formats and I'm not expert enough to know if they can be recognized online. Has anyone tried to read the Yahoo or Google digitized books with adaptive technology?

Cheryl Fogle MA Ph.D. candidate in Anthropology, University of New Mexico

Subject: Edupage, October 03, 2005

> Edupage is a service of EDUCAUSE, a nonprofit
association
> whose mission is to advance higher education by
promoting
> the intelligent use of information technology.

> TOP STORIES FOR MONDAY, OCTOBER 03, 2005
>  Yahoo Announces Book-Scanning Project
>  LAMS Foundation Launches Community Web Site
>  Google Offers to Unwire San Francisco
>  Digital Music Sales Surge
>

> YAHOO ANNOUNCES BOOK-SCANNING PROJECT
> Yahoo has announced a plan to scan large
collections of texts into an
> online digital archive, though officials said
their approach differs in
> important ways from Google's similar venture,
which has drawn
> extensive criticism and legal action. Yahoo's
initiative, called the
> Open Content Alliance (OCA), represents a
partnership with the
> University of California, the University of
Toronto, the Internet
> Archive, and several other companies and
organizations. Unlike
> Google's project, they will not scan any
copyrighted work without
> explicit permission. Organizers of the project
said the goal is to
> digitize and make freely available as much of what
is in the public
> domain as possible. In addition, the archive will
not be restricted to
> users of Yahoo. David Mandelbrot, Yahoo's vice
president for search
> content, said the texts will be online in such a
way that other search
> engines will be able to locate them. Much of the
scanning for the OCA
> will be done by the Internet Archive, which has
already been working
> with the University of Toronto on scanning several
thousand books in
> its collection.
> Chronicle of Higher Education, 3 October 2005
> http://chronicle.com/free/2005/10/2005100301t.htm
>
> LAMS FOUNDATION LAUNCHES COMMUNITY WEB SITE
> The Learning Activity Management System (LAMS)
Foundation has announced
> the launch of a new Web site that will allow what
it calls "open source
> teaching," in which educators can share and modify
digital lesson
> plans. The LAMS Community Web site is based on the
.LRN open source
> platform, developed at MIT. Using the LAMS
Community Web site, teachers
> can search through various subset communities,
looking for sequences of
> learning activities particular to their field.
Available communities
> will initially include developers, technical
support, and education,
> which will offer subcommunities for K-12, higher
education and
> training, and research and development. New
communities can be added
> later, such as a community focused on math
teachers in the Boston area.
> The Web site will allow teachers to share their
own learning sequences,
> access others' sequences, rate them, and discuss
them. All of the
> content will be used under Creative Commons
licenses.
> LAMS Foundation, 30 September 2005
> http://www.lamsfoundation.org/news/lamscomm.html
>
> GOOGLE OFFERS TO UNWIRE SAN FRANCISCO
> Google is one of more than a dozen organizations
that have submitted
> bids in response to San Francisco Mayor Gavin
Newsom's call for a
> citywide wireless Internet network. The network
would provide free
> Internet access to anyone in the city. Google
finds itself flush with
> more than $7 billion in cash after recent stock
sales. Industry
> observers speculated that setting up a municipal
wireless network in
> San Francisco could be the first step in a Google
plan to establish
> such a network nationwide, though the company said
it currently has no
> plans to expand beyond the Bay Area. Analysts said
Google's interest
> in facilitating increased Internet access directly
serves the
> company's goals of organizing the world's
information. In addition,
> providing Internet access to greater numbers of
people means
> potentially more visitors to Google's site, which
would increase

http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,69059,00.html

> DIGITAL MUSIC SALES SURGE
> According to the International Federation of the
Phonographic Industry
> (IFPI), sales of online digital music more than
tripled in the first
> half of 2005, compared to the same period in 2004.
Sales of legal music
> downloads totaled $790 million (representing 6
percent of total music
> sales worldwide), up from $220 million the year
before. Most of the
> gains were seen in the world's top five music
markets: the United
> States, Britain, Japan, Germany, and France. Sales
of physical formats
> declined by nearly 7 percent in value and 3.4
percent in units. The
> IFPI said it will continue working to spur legal
sales of online music
> while limiting the illegal sharing of music. John
Kennedy, chairman and
> chief executive of the IFPI, said that "digital
and physical piracy
> remain a big threat to our business in many
markets. Our industry's
> priorities are to further grow this emerging
digital-music business
> while stepping up our efforts to protect it from
copyright theft."
> Wall Street Journal, 3 October 2005 (sub. req'd)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB112834107711958392.html

e-mail to
> LISTSERV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To SUBSCRIBE, in the body of the message type:
> SUBSCRIBE Edupage YourFirstName YourLastName
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, in the body of the message type:
> SIGNOFF Edupage
>
> If you have subscription problems, send e-mail to
> EDUPAGE-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> OTHER EDUCAUSE RESOURCES
>
> The EDUCAUSE Resource Center is a repository for
> information concerning use and management of
> IT in higher education. To access resources
including
> articles, books, conference sessions, contracts,
> effective practices, plans, policies, position
> descriptions, and blog content, go to
> http://www.educause.edu/resources

> CONFERENCES
>
> For information on all EDUCAUSE learning and
networking