[bksvol-discuss] Word document has spellcheck turned off somehow

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 20:43:13 -0600

I'm proofreading a book that somehow has blocked Word's spellchecker finding any spelling errors. It isn't that the book doesn't have any. It's chock full of spelling errors from scannos.

I've checked the usual culprits that cause this. The "hide spelling errors in this document" isn't checked, for example.

Anyone have suggestions on what was going on? It has to be a setting that's specific to this document, because I'm not experiencing it with any other document or file in word.

I've already fixed the problem by copying the entire contents of the book into a new Word document. When I first tried that, keeping the source document's formatting, it had the same problem. I was able to somehow get ride of the turned off spell-checker being kept by copying the entire contents of the book and pasting it into a new document with the "merge formatting" paste command.

But I'd still like to know what's going on in case I run into this ever again!

--
Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at QuackersNCheese <https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese>