[bksvol-discuss] Word 2003 - You Are Going To Love This

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:05:36 -0400

      Hi,
I was digging around a bit on the web because I didn't want to have to go
through a whole book and double space titles all by hand. Here is a way to
search and replace what might be titles with the same thing and add a line
break below them. This uses Word 2003.

With your book in Microsoft Word 2003, press Control+H, which brings up the
Search and Replace dialog.
Type the following in the Find What box.
([a-z]^13)
Type this into the Replace With box:
\1^13

Tab  over and hit the More button if it is showing.
Tab until you get to the Use Wildcards check box and turn that on.
Adjust the box that tells Word to search up, down or all.
Hit the Search All button.

Now, let me explain what the gibberish you typed in is; then I'll show you
the article I got the information from.

() - This means that I am going to grab the enclosing expression in case I
want to use it later. Since I enclosed the whole expression in the Find
What box, I am saying that I'm not going to divide it up. I could have used
the parentheses more than once. If I would have done that, I could use \1
to represent the first division, \2 for the second, and so on. That's why I
was able to use \1 in the Replace with box.

[] - Use this to represent a range of characters. In our case, look for
lower case letters.

^13 - This represents a Word paragraph mark. Note: you can't use ^p for
wildcard searching because ^ has a special meaning for wildcard searches.

Here's where the article came from. Perhaps you can find other uses for the
information and save yourself time correcting books.

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/UsingWildcards.htm

Jim
James D Homme, Usability Engineering, Highmark Inc.,
james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"The difference between those who get what they wish for and those who
don't is action. Therefore, every action you take is a complete
success,regardless of the results." -- Jerrold Mundis
Highmark internal only: For usability and accessibility:
http://highwire.highmark.com/sites/iwov/hwt093/