[bksvol-discuss] Re: Wishlist and Home Page Update

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 08:05:51 -0800 (PST)

Hi Amber,

Having chopped up a lot of the medical books that have been scanned
recently, I want to warn you that it may take a while before they are in
the database.  Most of the books are 800-1200 pages, with loads of photos,
drawings, graphs and charts. [Let me tell you, some of the photos are not
pleasant to look at.] Worse of all, usually the pages are really really
thin and sometimes very slick, so scanning is just a nightmare.  It can
take hours to scan one book because of the frequent double-feeds.  And of
course validating takes even longer...

Marissa and some other volunteers have done an outstanding job of scanning
the medical books.  I want to commend them for their patience in dealing
with such a rough task.

Carrie

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail