[bksvol-discuss] Wishlist Requests

  • From: Courtney Stover <liamskitten@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 15:02:06 -0600

Hi all,

I'm intending to use the new book request form to put these on the
wishlist, but I thought I'd put them out here first.

Request 1:
Title: Omens
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Publisher: Dutton (an impring of Penguine
ISBN-10: 0525953043
ISBN-13: 978-0525953043
Back Cover Description: Twenty-four-year-old Olivia Taylor Jones has
the perfect life. The only daughter of a wealthy, prominent Chicago
family, she has an Ivy League education,
pursues volunteerism and philanthropy, and is engaged to a handsome
young tech firm CEO with political ambitions.

But Olivia's world is shattered when she learns that she's adopted.
Her real parents? Todd and Pamela Larsen, notorious serial killers
serving a life sentence.
When the news brings a maelstrom of unwanted publicity to her adopted
family and fiancé, Olivia decides to find out the truth about the
Larsens.

Olivia ends up in the small town of Cainsville, Illinois, an old and
cloistered community that takes a particular interest in both Olivia
and her efforts
to uncover her birth parents' past.

Aided by her mother's former lawyer, Gabriel Walsh, Olivia focuses on
the Larsens' last crime, the one her birth mother swears will prove
their innocence.
But as she and Gabriel start investigating the case, Olivia finds
herself drawing on abilities that have remained hidden since her
childhood, gifts that
make her both a valuable addition to Cainsville and deeply vulnerable
to unknown enemies. Because there are darker secrets behind her new
home, and powers
lurking in the shadows that have their own plans for her.

Request 2:
Title: Wild Justice Nadia Stafford Number 3
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Publisher: Plume (also an impring of Penguine)
ISBN-10: 0452298814
ISBN-13: 978-0452298811
As for the synopsis, because it is book 3 in a series, I don't want to
give one, due to it being extraordinarily spoilery.  I will say
however that Bookshare has both book 1 and book 2 of the series, and
that Nadia is one of the most well-written and complex hit-women I've
come across.

Request 3:
Title: Hild
Author: Nicola Griffith
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (They seem to be their own
publishing house, and as I recall, they have an agreement with
Bookshare, but it doesn't seem as though they're supplying this one,
as it's been out since November.)
ISBN-10: 0374280878
ISBN-13: 978-0374280871
Back Cover Description:  brilliant, lush, sweeping historical novel
about the rise of the most powerful woman of the Middle Ages: HildIn
seventh-century Britain, small kingdoms
are merging, frequently and violently. A new religion is coming
ashore; the old gods are struggling, their priests worrying. Hild is
the king's youngest
niece, and she has a glimmering mind and a natural, noble authority.
She will become a fascinating woman and one of the pivotal figures of
the Middle Ages:
Saint Hilda of Whitby.

But now she has only the powerful curiosity of a bright child, a will
of adamant, and a way of seeing the world--of studying nature, of
matching cause with
effect, of observing her surroundings closely and predicting what will
happen next--that can seem uncanny, even supernatural, to those around
her.Her uncle,
Edwin of Northumbria, plots to become overking of the Angles,
ruthlessly using every tool at his disposal: blood, bribery, belief.
Hild establishes a place
for herself at his side as the king's seer. And she is
indispensable--unless she should ever lead the king astray. The stakes
are life and death: for Hild,
for her family, for her loved ones, and for the increasing numbers who
seek the protection of the strange girl who can read the world and see
the future.Hild
is a young woman at the heart of the violence, subtlety, and mysticism
of the early Middle Ages--all of it brilliantly and accurately evoked
by Nicola Griffith's
luminous prose. Working from what little historical record is extant,
Griffith has brought a beautiful, brutal world to vivid, absorbing
life.

This one may be a bit tricky; since it hasn't been out very long, it
may not be available in many libraries, and the Amazon prices, even
for used, seem to be such that buying it used wouldn't gain one a
discount as it usually would.  Also, there is a pronunciation guide
and glossary which it may be rather difficult/impossible to scan.

Unfortunately, I can't proofread at the moment, but if no one can
obtain these from there library, I would be willing to purchase them
from Amazon (particularly the first two which have dropped
significantly in price if they're purchased used) from Amazon and send
them to any scanner willing to take them on to be put on the checkout
list for anyone willing to proof.  From the state of the list when I
checked this morning, it's getting terrifyingly thin.
Warmly,
Courtney