[bksvol-discuss] Wishlist

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 04:03:23 -0500

My library doesn't have this one, but it sounds fantastic.

Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea - by Barbara Demick
Publisher: Spiegel & Grau
Check Library Catalog
Pub Date: 12/29/2009
ISBN-13: 9780385523905
ISBN-10: 0385523904
North Korea's schoolchildren sing anthems praising their leader and their
country; many also suffer from malnutrition and lack of health care. Adults who
are lucky enough to have jobs often go unpaid; those who complain can be
imprisoned or put to death. Though the vast majority of North Koreans know as
little about the outside world as we do about what goes on under the repressive
reign of Kim Jong-il, this analysis of North Korea throughout the past
15 years may change at least half that equation. Based on seven years of
interviews with six North Koreans who escaped, Nothing to Envy is grim, but also
"fascinating and deeply personal" (Publishers Weekly).
First Chapter