[bksvol-discuss] Wish List Idea

  • From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <jamieyates@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bookshare Volunteers <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, vmfeedback@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 15:36:59 -0800 (PST)

I was listening to Jake's chat from 11-20 and part of Jim's from 11-27 this
morning on the way to work (yes it's a long drive) and then more of Jim's on
the way home.

  I was making some notes to think about later and one thing in Jake's chat was
if anyone had suggestions for how to make the wishlist work better.

  Back in August I suggested the wishlist work just like submitting books
works. Step 1 works, apparently, with no help at all from Bookshare except
whatever it took to have them set it up.

  The wishlist could work the same way. Just like when a person submits a book,
when a person submits a wish, that could go to a wishlist "step 1". When a
person wants to scan a wish, just like when a person wants to validate, they go
to this "step 1", and choose a book. That book gets assigned only to that
volunteer. Just like when the book is validated it gets uploaded in "step 2",
when the book is scanned, it also could get uploaded in a wishlist "step 2"
which would automatically put it on the Books in process step 1.

  All of this could be done by users without the need to continually update and
upload a new wishlist, inform people of the desire to scan a wish, etc. It
would work exactly like the submission and validation process works.

  I would suggest that the wishlist also have a "wishes in progress" list like
the books in processing list, so others know that a book is either on the
wishlist, or a book from the wishlist is being scanned.

  So, the process as I envision it, would be: if you have a book you want, you
check the collection to see if it is already there. If not, you check the books
in processing list to see if someone is validating it. If not, you check the
wishes in progress list to see if someone is scanning it. If not, then you go
to the wishlist page, where you'd fill out a form with the book's title and
author, and maybe ISBN. Then it would go to the wishlist, where it would be a
link that a submitter could choose to be assigned to scan that book. When
scanning is finished, you have a link to submit the book so that it goes off
the wishes in progress list and into the step 1 list and everyone knows what
happens after that.

  If it were sophisticated enough, the system could email the requesting person
that someone has chosen to scan the book and then email them again to let them
know it is on step 1, should they choose to want to validate it. That might be
asking for a lot, though.

  Just an idea. When I suggested it in August, several people thought it
sounded like a good plan.

Jamie in Michigan
Currently Reading - Father and Son by Larry Brown