[bksvol-discuss] Re: Wish List

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 17:39:40 -0500

That one sounds fantastic, smile.

Shelley L. Rhodes B.S. Ed, CTVI
and Judson, guiding golden
juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Alumni Association Board
www.guidedogs.com

Dog ownership is like a rainbow.
 Puppies are the joy at one end.
 Old dogs are the treasure at the other.
Carolyn Alexander

----- Original Message -----
From: "jbaugh" <jim.baugh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Bksvol-Discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2007 11:56 AM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Wish List

Just submitted The Trouble With Islam: A Muslim?s Call for Reform in Her
Faith by Irshad Manji.

From the Publisher
"I have to be honest with you. Islam is on very thin ice with me....Through
our screaming self-pity and our conspicuous silences, we Muslims are
conspiring against ourselves. We're in crisis and we're dragging the rest of
the world with us. If ever there was a moment for an Islamic reformation,
it's now. For the love of God, what are we doing about it?"

In blunt, provocative, and deeply personal terms, Irshad Manji unearths the
troubling cornerstones of mainstream Islam today: tribal insularity,
deep-seated anti-Semitism, and an uncritical acceptance of the Koran as the
final, and therefore superior, manifesto of God. In this open letter to
Muslims and non-Muslims alike, Manji asks arresting questions. "Who is the
real colonizer of Muslims - America or Arabia? Why are we all being held
hostage by what's happening between the Palestinians and the Israelis? Why
are we squandering the talents of women, fully half of God's creation?
What's our excuse for reading the Koran literally when it's so contradictory
and ambiguous? Is that a heart attack you're having? Make it fast. Because
if more of us don't speak out against the imperialists within Islam, these
guys will walk away with the show."

Manji offers a practical vision of how the United States and its allies can
help Muslims undertake a reformation that empowers women, promotes respect
for religious minorities, and fosters a competition of ideas. Her vision
revives Islam's lost tradition of independent thinking. This book will
inspire struggling Muslims worldwide to revisit the foundations of their
faith. It will also compel non-Muslims to start posing the important
questions without fear of being deemed "racists." In more ways than one, The
Trouble with Islam is a clarion call for a fatwa-free future.

Synopsis
Canadian journalist Manji (she's also a television personality and
writer-in-residence at the U. of Toronto) describes her radical ideas
regarding her faith. She is particularly interested in encouraging Muslims
to voice concerns about elements of the religion they find
objectionable--and to do so publicly. The writing is conversational, but she
does back up her material with some suggested readings (there's more
material at her website). An index would have been useful. Annotation ©2004
Book News, Inc., Portland, OR

Jim B

1:12 PM