[bksvol-discuss] Wish List

  • From: "jbaugh" <jim.baugh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bksvol-Discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 11:56:18 -0500

Just submitted The Trouble With Islam: A Muslim’s Call for Reform in Her Faith
by Irshad Manji.

From the Publisher
"I have to be honest with you. Islam is on very thin ice with me....Through our
screaming self-pity and our conspicuous silences, we Muslims are conspiring
against ourselves. We're in crisis and we're dragging the rest of the world
with us. If ever there was a moment for an Islamic reformation, it's now. For
the love of God, what are we doing about it?"

In blunt, provocative, and deeply personal terms, Irshad Manji unearths the
troubling cornerstones of mainstream Islam today: tribal insularity,
deep-seated anti-Semitism, and an uncritical acceptance of the Koran as the
final, and therefore superior, manifesto of God. In this open letter to Muslims
and non-Muslims alike, Manji asks arresting questions. "Who is the real
colonizer of Muslims - America or Arabia? Why are we all being held hostage by
what's happening between the Palestinians and the Israelis? Why are we
squandering the talents of women, fully half of God's creation? What's our
excuse for reading the Koran literally when it's so contradictory and
ambiguous? Is that a heart attack you're having? Make it fast. Because if more
of us don't speak out against the imperialists within Islam, these guys will
walk away with the show."

Manji offers a practical vision of how the United States and its allies can
help Muslims undertake a reformation that empowers women, promotes respect for
religious minorities, and fosters a competition of ideas. Her vision revives
Islam's lost tradition of independent thinking. This book will inspire
struggling Muslims worldwide to revisit the foundations of their faith. It will
also compel non-Muslims to start posing the important questions without fear of
being deemed "racists." In more ways than one, The Trouble with Islam is a
clarion call for a fatwa-free future.

Synopsis
Canadian journalist Manji (she's also a television personality and
writer-in-residence at the U. of Toronto) describes her radical ideas regarding
her faith. She is particularly interested in encouraging Muslims to voice
concerns about elements of the religion they find objectionable--and to do so
publicly. The writing is conversational, but she does back up her material with
some suggested readings (there's more material at her website). An index would
have been useful. Annotation ©2004 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR

Jim B