[bksvol-discuss] Re: Wind Dancer

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:30:54 -0400

Barbara and the recipient of my copies of the Wind Dancer trilogy:

I sent my copy of the whole trilogy to someone who wanted to scan them but
don't remember whom.  If the person who received them could not or did not want
to scan them please return them please return them.  Contact me at
Agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxx  or at my return address here and I will send the
address assuming s/he no longer has it   I am willing to give it a try or try
my library for the hard back.  Unfortunately, last time I tried they were not
available on talking book and I never checked the recorded books or regular
eBooks as they tend to be expensive.

Almost all of her books have been on the  N.Y.Times paperback best sellers'
lists and according to my "friendly neighborhood used paperback book store" she
can never get any copies and has to get new ones to sell.

"One person's trash is another's treasure" and the last time I threw away a
book I was in 7th grade I think and regretted it for years - it was  David
Copperfield and have since read it at least 3 times [and will do so 3 more if I
live long enough] and have most of Dickens at least once. I have read all of
Johnson  also at least once and I recognize Dickens as one of the world's
greatest writers, and Johnson as one of the best romance writers.  I learned
years ago not to put down anyone for reading almost anything.

One last word: Of all of the romance writers I have read, Johnson tends to be
the most correct in the historical context. Of the Wind Dancer trilogy, her
picture of revolutionary France is amazingly accurate including the
conceptualization of both Marat and Robespierre and her general picture of the
times. Little enough of the life of Troy is known even from to fault her
picture of ancient Greece and I would not doubt that the men and deeds
described in Reap the Wind are more than possible. The same could be said of
her Russian trilogy and  of the Western trilogy plus.  I got tired of the
historical fiction by people who knew little if anything of the times of which
they wrote and so put in as few historical details as possible. If it is the
explicit sexual descriptions one should remember to read the descriptions of
books before the whole book. There is a reason those labels are put on the
books so one does not find unwanted materiel in the books they read.

I am sorry you did not enjoy Wind Dancer, I am sure you will and already have
found many books more to your taste.

Amy
omsm