[bksvol-discuss] Re: Wife as aide

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:13:05 -0600

Joanie,
Life definitely isn't fair. <lol> When crazy things like this happen to my
sighted friends I usually tell them, "I'm blind--what's your excuse?" <lol>
A couple summers ago my mom, who is fully sighted, was outside when she
heard the phone ringing. She whipped around and launched... right into an
oak tree. She actually cracked her cheekbone right below her eye. Of course
it turned a myriad of undesirable colors and hurt like crazy for a month.
Despite that, I think the real victim of all this was her poor husband.
Whenever they went anywhere, people gave him dirty looks and were rude to
him because they thought he'd beaten her. Finally he pretty much refused to
go places with her until it healed up. <lol> My mom thought the whole thing
was pretty funny and stupid despite the pain and the silly questions and
jokes.
The only time I remember running into a tree I was on rollerblades, and the
worst result was that I got a bunch of pine sap stuck in my hair. It wasn't
a head-on collision--I veered off the driveway I was skating on, despite the
fact that I was using my cane to follow the edge, and sideswiped the tree.
Kellie