[bksvol-discuss] Re: Why do you volunteer?

  • From: "Jamie Prater" <jdprater@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 23:40:11 -0500

H, well, in my years of going to public school and being a part of church
activities where people were reading books and I either had a different book
edition, the book was not yet in braille or on tape or record, or whatever and
it took too long to scan, I felt a bit left out and if a book was available, a
whole new world opened up to me as I've always loved to read and/or be read to
since I was three.  I also have felt strange when I couldn't read a book to a
child when they asked me to, so if I can help bookshare out and add one more
book to the collection for a population who would not otherwise have access to
it, this is a great thing.  I hope I would do it were credit not available, but
I admit the credit is good incentive and I don't know if I'd do as much but if
I saw a book that I either wanted to read myself or wanted it to be available
for someone else, I would want to do what I could.  This is why I volunteer.