[bksvol-discuss] Which way is best? Part 2

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 16:27:51 -0600

Hi everyone!

I checked other places in the book after I wrote the first post to see if there was a similar situation, since I had it in the back of my mind there was at least one other place. There were a few.

I like what was done earlier, so I think that would be best in the situation I ask about below. In the other cases, no matter the context, an elipsis was used. I like that best.

Debby

P.S. I'll leave the original post below. Sorry I didn't think to check before writing the first question, (smile).

=====

Although what I am going to ask about concerns a blank, it's not in a form, but just a paragraph.

The submitter used this style:

Question: What to do? Answer: At the end of the conversation, say something like, "It's really been great talking to you. Once again, my name is ------------------ ." Then give a somewhat expectant look without actually asking their name again. Ninety percent of intelligent life on the planet will take it as a cue to respond with their name.

Is Jamie's way better in this situation, too?  It is:

Question: What to do? Answer: At the end of the conversation, say something like, "It's really been great talking to you. Once again, my name is [blank line]." Then give a somewhat expectant look without actually asking their name again. Ninety percent of intelligent life on the planet will take it as a cue to respond with their name.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Debby

--
                mailto:<the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
--

"Teach me, and I will hold my tongue
; Cause me to understand wherein I have erred.