[bksvol-discuss] Re: Which books count toward the grant?

  • From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 00:53:07 -0500

Adding to what Carrie said, and as someone who has a teenage daughter who qualifies through the grant, teenage romance is often part of their self-selected reading which is usually a part of any established reading program. In other words, anything that the teachers would consider appropriate for a student to read would qualify for the grant, and teenage romance certainly qualifies for young ladies. Wink.

A lot of what I have been scanning the past few months are the books that Nichole has been choosing to read, including the Sierra Jensen series. She has enjoyed it enormously and is thrilled that those books will be available to other teens with print disabilities. These particular books aren't straight romance, per se, but rather peeks into the life of a Christian teen and inevitably thoughts of boys are part of it.

The important part for teenagers in my opinion is to keep them passionate about reading, and for many girls, the only hook that you can use might be teen romance, especially for struggling readers.

Hope that makes sense!

Valerie

On 10 28, 2009, at 12:47 AM, Carrie Karnos wrote:

Any book written for children or teenagers is considered "educational". We can all point to various children's books that really aren't educational, but the whole point of defining "educational" is to avoid having to look at each book that's in the collection and pass judgment on it. Better to say if a book is in such-and-such category, then it is (or isn't) educational.
Carrie