[bksvol-discuss] Re: Which books count toward the grant?

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 22:47:42 -0700 (PDT)

Any book written for children or teenagers is considered "educational". We can
all point to various children's books that really aren't educational, but the
whole point of defining "educational" is to avoid having to look at each book
that's in the collection and pass judgment on it. Better to say if a book is in
such-and-such category, then it is (or isn't) educational.
Carrie

________________________________
Date: 10/27/2009 7:01:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time  From: ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: pavim@xxxxxxxxxxxx  Sent from the
Internet
> (Details) table end
>
> Hi gang,

A volunteer asked which books qualify for the grant, so I thought maybe there
are others who don't know about this either. This is a quick email to
the
> group, so everyone knows which books count.

explain this by what's excluded, all books qualify, except romances, books that
are adult content, and books that proselytize religion. Factual books

about religion are fine, since they explain what it's about, but books that
push
agendas at you do not qualify. It doesn't matter where the book comes

from - volunteers, outsourcers, publishers, or anywhere else.

To explain this by what's included, all kiddie books (including teen romances)
are okay, most non-fiction is okay, "good" literature is okay, and
finally,
> at long last, a decision was made, and it was decided that
genre fiction is okay. So books that are mysteries, thrillers, Westerns,
historical fiction,
> science fiction, fantasies, and horror are okay too.
But the minute you add romance to any of the adult genre fiction books, the
book
doesn't count towards
> the grant.
>
> Of course, there will
always be edge cases. We look at those books on a case-by-case basis, and
sometimes ask the Bookshare librarian for a decision.

> I would
encourage those people who are scanning and proofing romances to continue to do
so. We at the office can't put any in, since all of our time has
> to go
towards fulfilling the grant. But there are lots and lots of people who like
romance and want to see more of it in the collection. Please continue
put romances in! The Bookshare publisher liaison mentioned that while most of
the book markets dropped when the economy dropped, the romance market
> is
continuing to climb. So there you are.

> HTH, Carrie

put
the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list of
available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject
line.

Date: 10/27/09 07:38:00