[bksvol-discuss] Re: Which books count toward the grant?

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 19:21:55 EDT

I know that this sounds like an indignant question from a romance fan, but
I am not a romance fan. I am just a little stunned and surprised. If
thrillers, horror, mystery and science fiction are considered educational then
what
the blue blazes is wrong with romance?

                  "If you don't stand for something you will fall for
anything.
" Malcolm X

http://www.pathfinderpress.com
Granma International: http://www.granma.cu/ingles/index.html
                 _

table with 2 columns and 7 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Which books count toward the grant?
Date:
10/27/2009 7:01:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC:
pavim@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Hi gang,

A volunteer asked which books qualify for the grant, so I thought maybe
there are others who don't know about this either. This is a quick email to the
group, so everyone knows which books count.

To explain this by what's excluded, all books qualify, except romances,
books that are adult content, and books that proselytize religion. Factual
books
about religion are fine, since they explain what it's about, but books that
push agendas at you do not qualify. It doesn't matter where the book comes
from - volunteers, outsourcers, publishers, or anywhere else.

To explain this by what's included, all kiddie books (including teen
romances) are okay, most non-fiction is okay, "good" literature is okay, and
finally,
at long last, a decision was made, and it was decided that genre fiction is
okay. So books that are mysteries, thrillers, Westerns, historical fiction,
science fiction, fantasies, and horror are okay too. But the minute you add
romance to any of the adult genre fiction books, the book doesn't count
towards
the grant.

Of course, there will always be edge cases. We look at those books on a
case-by-case basis, and sometimes ask the Bookshare librarian for a decision.

I would encourage those people who are scanning and proofing romances to
continue to do so. We at the office can't put any in, since all of our time
has
to go towards fulfilling the grant. But there are lots and lots of people
who like romance and want to see more of it in the collection. Please
continue
to put romances in! The Bookshare publisher liaison mentioned that while
most of the book markets dropped when the economy dropped, the romance market
is continuing to climb. So there you are.

HTH, Carrie