[bksvol-discuss] Re: What's right and wrong with the manual?

  • From: "Bob" <rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 05:22:09 -0600

Hi Kim.
Let me explain how the recent updates to the manual evolved, (i.e. using
various softwares to scan and proof read books).

Earlier this year Pavi Meta, the volunteer coordinator with bookshare, asked
for volunteers who would like to help act as liaisons between the volunteer
community and bookshare staff. Several of us said we would volunteer. Since
that time we've had several resignations and one addition to this group.

The group is called VAT for volunteer action team, or something like that. As
chairperson to this committee, I meet weekly with Pavi, and we discuss problems
that come up both on this list and volunteers who contact Pavi directly.

Currently the members of this group are: Amber Wallens, Bob Wiley, Christina
Nixon, Dianna Messina, Evan Reese, Judy s, Mayrie ReNae, Nancy Feldman, Shelley
Rhodes, and Lynn I. There are several bookshare staff to help us out.

One of our tasks was to come up with inserts to the manual describing how we
scan and proofread using the tools we are familiar with. With one exception,
scanning and proofread with Openbook, we have exhausted our talents. It has
been a lot of fun. And personally rewarding for me.

Once you have some experience proofreading, you may wish to help us out by
adding to the volunteer manual. When you think you are ready just drop a note
to Pavi Meta at pavim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

We have discussed acting as mentors to new members, but the general feeling was
that our experiences were that we wind up teaching something like Kurzweil,
JAWS, Window Eyes or Word to folks, and none of us have the time to do this.
However, if I can help you with your proofreading, you can write me at
rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx I use Kurzweil and Microsoft Word to proofread. I do not
have a Braille display to help you with that aspect of your proofing
experience. Perhaps someone else can step forward and volunteer to assist you.

I hope this helps.

Bob

"We know the future will outlast all of us, but I believe that all of us will
live on in the future we make,"
Senator Edward M. Kennedy