[bksvol-discuss] Re: What's gong on? Very annoying book rejected emails received

  • From: Cindy Rosenthal <grandcyn77@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 22:38:51 -0700

Thanks, Rick, for idea as to what's going on
Cimdy

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 10:29 PM, <ohio1803@xxxxx> wrote:

*Yes, Cindy, I have gotten a few of these exact type of emails myself.
Things I had forgotten that I had submitted, like back 4-6 years. When it
said my quality was very poor, of course I just fell back and whimpered
horribly. Then I was a bit indignant, remembering they were excellent.*

*Then a light bulb went off, as a theory blossomed in my pea brain. I
might be wrong. But I think perhaps it is one of these publisher quality
replacements happening. And the volunteer produced or human scanned ones,
let’s say, it has to be replaced. And maybe the whole poor quality thing is
not due to an evaluation. But rather is just an email form letter to the
faceless volunteer, who is of course appreciated, but also whose
productions are necessarily replaced because the publisher requires that in
the agreements for Bookshare.*

*So there is my theory.*
*I am mostly only scanning books that I figure may never get the PQ copy. *
*Some years back when first starting to volunteer and scan books for
Bookshare, I used to keep hearing interviews on the radio, or reading them
in periodicals. I like to read what is current and this has for a long time
been an issue for blind wanting to not have to wait for months and months
or even years to read something. *
*So I would jump on my scanner and produce the book in the best quality I
could, and submit it. *
*Now, scanning is a different thing, it would appear. As a member and a
reader, I have to say, it is a pretty quick turnaround. We are getting in
so many books from the publishers, and so quickly, it seems. I am trying to
be better about submitting quality reports, and there are books that miss
lots of navigation consistencies and what not.*

*So as much fun as that was, this is sure easier, and I am enjoying
reading.*

*I do, however, still hope to feel good about scanning and submitting,
too.*
*Thanks to all who have and may in the future proofread my scans. *

*Happy reading, and volunteering, everybody.*
*Rik J*