[bksvol-discuss] What is Mandatory Vs what Are Guidelines for Books (was Re: Re: was Navigation what do members prefer?)

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 18:40:51 -0600

HI Evan and all,

Again, I entirely agree that and heartily promote that we follow what I originally posted, as that was pulled directly from the manual. smile. However, we've all been told repeatedly that these are not required standards and that books will not be rejected if they don't precisely meet them, and that most of what is in the volunteer manual is not mandatory.

We volunteers can all argue about this until the cows come home, but there is very little that has been written down as mandatory and required.

Here's what's required and mandatory, straight from Bookshare. Log in as a volunteer and go to this link for the full details: https://wiki.benetech.org/display/BSO/2.+Topics+for+Submitters+and+Proofreaders

A.  Must contain both copyright holder and copyright date
B.  Cannot be copyrighted dramatic works
C. Cannot be proprietary digital books, or obtained in breach of contract, or illegally
D.  Cannot be standardized testing materials
E. Must not already be in the library, or must be of higher quality than the current version F. Must contain Page Breaks that correspond as closely as possible to the print edition (a book must have at least 90% of its page breaks) G. Must contain Page Numbers that correspond as closely as possible to the print edition (required to have page numbers on at least 90% of their page) H. Books must be complete (Title/author page, Copyright page, Table of Contents, Dedication, Acknowledgments, Main text of the book)
I.  Must be submitted in a single file
J. Cannot be exams, Teachers' Editions, course packets, or sample course materials

That's it. That's all that's required. Everything else we do is encouraged, and often strongly encouraged, and often we're told it's required and then we're told it isn't, but when it gets down to it, those ten things are all that are mandated under Bookshare policy, at least as far as it's been shared with volunteers in writing.

As a volunteer, I find this frustrating. As staff rotate we get told various things are required, then they aren't, then they've changed, then they haven't. The confusion on this list reflects that constantly. We volunteers remember what we were taught under one staff member, and then another one comes in and someone else is taught something else, and that of course is what they remember. And then what we're supposed to do shifts back to what the first volunteer was told to do. There is no one standard that sticks.

Personally, I've begged Bookshare staff for over five years now to make a whole lot of what we do, like font sizing for daisy navigation, very specific and required. But I've been told again and again that setting these things as requirements chases off new volunteers, that it's too intimidating, and that the majority of volunteers who stay won't continue if they have to follow a whole bunch of standards other than the 10 listed above.

For me, it does the opposite. if I have a specific clearly laid out list of what has to be done that I can check off and say, yup, I did that, I learn how to do it through the process of meeting that standard. And I feel we wouldn't end up with the confusion that we constantly have going on here.

But that's my opinion and I'm not in charge. grin. Plus, I don't work with the hundreds and hundreds of volunteers that the staff do, so I can only speak from what I perceive from my own little corner of my own little house. The big picture that staff sees of what works and what doesn't to train and retain volunteers could be vastly different. smile.

Judy s.

On 11/24/2012 1:26 PM, Evan Reese wrote:
Hi Judy,

While what I wrote earlier was technically correct, I do think it is better to follow the approach of 16-point chapter headings. In addition to having the advantages of consistency and simplicity, it can also eliminate unnecessary work.

As an example, I had a book which I recently submitted in which I started by putting the titles of the parts in 16-point and the chapter titles in 14-point. But then, well into the book, the author decided to put some subheadings into one of his chapters. So I had to go back and resize all of the fonts I had done. It didn't take a huge amount of time, but it was still extra work.

So I am backpeddling -) on what I said earlier. Because although it wasn't exactly wrong, following the guidelines is a better approach for multiple reasons: First, as others have pointed out, it is consistent. Second, it is simpler to remember. And third, unless you page through the entire book ahead of time, (and how many of us are going to do that?), you can't be sure you won't have chapters with subsections in them at some point.

Apologies for any part I may have played in causing confusion.

Evan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>