[bksvol-discuss] Re: What does this mean?

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 22:14:49 -0400

You can also think of a sidebar as a picture caption without the picture.
On 8/24/2012 9:58 PM, Judy s. wrote:
Hi Netta,

A sidebar should be left as a sidebar. It's hard to understand if you've never actually seen a printed page in a textbook, but let me see if I can explain it a different way. A printed page can have multiple kinds of text in multiple places, like the way you can have multiple kinds of food on a plate. Think of the main text on the page as the main entree. It's the sirloin steak. The footnotes are something that gives extra reference information about the main text. They're the steak sauce. Sometimes an author wants to add additional information to the main text, or give information that they especially want to emphasize, or that's just tangential to the information in the main text. They do that by putting it in sidebars, which are columns or boxes of text that are physically printed to one side or the other of the main text. Think of sidebars as the side dish to the main entree--they're the baked potato that sits by the steak on a plate.

Does that help?

Judy s.
On 8/24/2012 8:39 PM, Dornetta wrote:
Blank
Hey guys;
I am reading a textbook, Traditions and Encounters: A Global Perspective on the Past, which is copyrighted in 2000. This is a book for my world history class and a bookshare download. I am currently waiting for a updated copy but for now this will have to do. My question is this (for all of you old bookshare volunteers), what does the following mean: [Side Bar: "Knowledge of winds and currents] Not the text within the quotes but the Side Bar Is the side bar a footnote? Can I treat it as one-footnote? There are no numbers, I. e., [footnote 1:] or [***1***] etc... There are several of these [Side Bar(s):] within the text and not for nothing, I think that they are footnotes. Why else would such a "thing" be in a history textbook. *shrug*
Please advise,
Netta