[bksvol-discuss] Re: What braces look like in print (was Re: Re: Proofing: Is this correct?)

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2012 11:07:51 -0500

From Wikipedia:
] Braces or Curly brackets { }

Curly brackets – also properly called braces in the UK (according to the OED) and US – are used in specialized ways in poetry and music (to mark repeats
or joined lines). The musical terms for this mark joining staves are
accolade
 and “
brace
”, and connect two or more lines of music that are played simultaneously.
[12]
 In
mathematics
 they delimit
sets,
and in writing, they may be used similarly, “Select your animal {goat, sheep, cow, horse} and follow me”. In many programming languages, they enclose groups
of
statements.
Such languages (
 being one of the best-known examples) are therefore called
curly bracket languages.
Some people use a brace to signify movement in a particular direction.
[citation needed]

Presumably due to the similarity of the words brace and bracket (although they do not share an
etymology),
many people mistakenly treat brace as a
synonym
for bracket. Therefore, when it is necessary to avoid any possibility of confusion, such as in computer programming, it may be best to use the term curly bracket rather than brace. However, general usage in North American English favours the latter form.
[citation needed]
 Indian programmers often use the name “flower bracket”.
[13]

In
classical mechanics,
curly brackets are often also used to denote the
Poisson bracket
 between two quantities. It is defined as follows:

$ \{f,g\} = \sum_{i=1}^{N} \left[ \frac{\partial f}{\partial q_{i}} \frac{\partial g}{\partial p_{i}} - \frac{\partial f}{\partial p_{i}} \frac{\partial
g}{\partial q_{i}} \right] $

[
edit
] Angle brackets or chevrons ⟨ ⟩

Wow! Thank you Roger! What is the purpose of braces? Are they used sort of like brackets? Marty