[bksvol-discuss] Re: What I understand about footnotes

  • From: "Susan" <slumpkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 22:52:05 -0500

That's the way I remember it too, Kim!

Susan

  _____

From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kim Friedman
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:01 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] What I understand about footnotes

Hi, I believe the type of book may use different footnote styles: for
example, if you were footnoting an anthropology or social science book,
you'd see an opening parenthesis after the relevant sentence, followed by
the author's last name, colon, year of the publication, and pages cited
followed by a closing parenthesis. (I'm unsure of whether the whole book
title goes within the parentheses or not. As for literary footnoting, here's
what I've seen in Braille: (note: I may be completely wrong about the manner
of literary footnoting today), Say I'm reading a paragraph and I wish to
footnote something. After the word or phrase, I'd see an asterisk followed
immediately by a number. Either at the end of the book or at the bottom of
the page, you'd write the asterisk, followed by the footnote number, after
which you'd see either an explanation or a citation. The citation style
would consist of the author's last name, the name of the work, page number.
If you had another footnote from the same work, you'd write either Ibid. or
Op. cit. followed by the page number. I think both these words come from
Latin and the last one op. cit. is Latin for "work cited" or something like
that. Please, you guys, if I'm incorrect, do write something about
footnoting so Valerie won't get lousy information from me. You may know more
about MLA style than I do. Regards, Kim Friedman.

database 5110 (20100512) __________

http://www.eset.com