[bksvol-discuss] Re: Web Site Suggestions

  • From: "Tiffany H. Jessen" <tjessen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:30:06 -0500

I agree that this is a good idea, but just as a suggestion until this may or
not become possible, since these books are in a table, you don't have to
arrow or tab past each of these download links for each book.
As you can see at the top of the table, it is four columns wide. In order
from left to right it goes Title, Author, format, and download. With jaws it
ends up being a totally massive list of each of the four column fields
separately for each of the books under each other
Currently there are over 500 books on the step 1 page, so if you want to
read the whole table of books that ends up making you down arrow over 2,000
times.
If you know the table commands for your screen reader however, you can
navigate a lot easier by simply reading down the column of interest. I
personally validate books of any author  and format, so primarily only look
at the title column. However, if you typically find organizing the books by
format or something else, you can still do that at the top of course, but
learning the screenreader navigation commands is really helpful in addition.
I can't think of the Window-Eyes command , but what I do with JAWS is move
to the top of the table, and then use the next cell in column command, which
is control alt down arrow and it simply reads down the title column and
skips over all the other unimportant stuff.
If the other stuff in fact is important to you, there is also another
command: Windows button and the down arrow. This one is great because it
will down arrow once, and read that row for all four columns of a book in a
single keystroke.
Exampling, if you don't use any table commands, with jaws it will list a
single book on four separate lines:
Mrs. Jeffries Stalks The Hunter
Emily Brightwell
RTF (Rich Text Format)
Download
If you move to anywhere in the column you want to read, in this case the
title field, Mrs. Jeffries Stalks The Hunter,
and then use the first keystroke I mentioned, control alt down arrow, it
will jump you over the three other lines and jump you directly to the next
book, A Crown Disowned.
I  know most of us don't have all the OCR programs, so in this case it is
necessary to hear the format information, so they might be better off using
the second keystroke suggestion.
Starting from the same place mentioned above, if my curser was on the title,
Mrs. Jeffries Stalks The Hunter, and then I pushed Windows down arrow, it
will move to and read all four columns of the following book:
A Crown Disowned Andre Norton and Sasha Miller RTF (Rich Text Format)
Download
Using either of these keystrokes not only makes things easier to follow, but
it also eliminates 75% of your keystrokes used. Maybe in a small table it's
not a big deal, but especially on the step 1 page which is often over 500,
or recently over 600 books long, chopping that down from more than 2500
keystrokes you will notice the difference immensely.
Just a suggestion..
Tiffany