[bksvol-discuss] Re: Web Site Suggestions

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:19:20 -0500 (EST)

Cindy

Screen readers have all sorts of built-in find and navigation features to
make using web pages easier.
For example, Window-Eyes, the screen reader I use, has what it calls
a Tables feature.  When I land on the table of books needing validation, I
am immediately told just how many books happen to be needing validation at
the moment --
540.  Also, As Tiff noted, it tells me that the info is presented in 4
columns.
Click on the download link for more info on a particular book, and I can
quickly read the synopsis by using the find feature and entering "Syn",
"synopsis", whatever.
Want to know the submitter, I can do the same thing.
If I happened to know on which line of a page something happened to be,
there are commands for that too along with commands for finding previously
visited links on a page.
And the screen reader can be programmed to read different levels of
punctuation, speeds, pitch, et al.
Words, if needed, can be read phonetically or spelled out.
And I can go on and on.
The point is that screen readers, at least the good ones such JFW which
Tiffany uses and Window-Eyes which I use, do far more than read screens;
they facilitate finding and understanding the info presented.
It is the amount of continued reasearch and development, plus the support
the companies provide that explains the relatively high cost of these
programs
which range from $800 to $1100 or so.